“Transport is still regarded as ‘no place for women’ in many countries/sectors around the world.” ILO Transport Policy Brief 2013
"Some traditionally male sectors such as construction and transport, have remained highly resistant to change in their gender balance, with women still only accounting for 22% of workers in transport" Tessa Wright, Gender and Sexuality in Male-Dominated Occupations, 2016
Responses to the Equality Testing Research will provide us all with invaluable evidence to challenge significant industry issues such as:
- discriminatory compulsory pregnancy testing for seafarers
- unsafe public transport for workers and passengers
- shameful sexualised marketing strategies in the civil aviation industry
- winning a new proposed ILO Convention on violence and harassment against women and men in the world of work
This is to name just a few of the limitless opportunities this research will provide to the ITF and all of our affiliates. Make sure the realities within your workplaces are incorporated, and help us all learn more about gender (in)equality in the workplace!
Participation is voluntary and anonymous, and can even be completed on a mobile phone.
Take part in 3 simple steps
- Download our short and simple ‘promo packs’. We’ve made it really easy for you to share and promote the research in your union!
- Distribute the worker survey online links to transport workers and encourage all responses to be completed by 8 August. Arabic, French, English, Hindi, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Bengali, Bulgarian and Thai
- Complete and share the supplementary online questionnaire for union reps and officials, also by 8 August. Arabic, French, English, Hindi, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Bengali, Bulgarian and Thai
With your help we can reach the greatest number of workers and union representatives/officials from the most diverse workplaces and deliver a strong piece of research that will benefit union campaigning for all of us.